Are you looking to Import trailers to Australia ?
You need to be aware of the Changes…..
Under the RVS legislation, manufacturers and importers of trailers with an aggregate trailer mass (ATM)* of
4.5 tonnes or less (low ATM trailers) need an approval before they can provide a trailer type to the Australian
Low ATM trailers include caravans, dog trailers and pig trailers.
Under the MVSA, trailer manufacturers and importers self certified that a trailer complied with Vehicle Standards Bulletin 1 (VSB1 – Building Small Trailers).
This certification was included on the trailer’s identification plate. Now, every road vehicle, including trailers, will need to have vehicle and compliance information listed on the Register of Approved Vehicles (RAV), an online database of vehicles that have met the requirements of the RVS legislation and have been approved for provision to the Australian market.
Eligibility for a vehicle type approval To be able to grant a vehicle type approval, the government must be satisfied the applicant:
- has the required information demonstrating the road vehicle complies with the applicable national road
vehicle standards (in rare cases, non-compliance will be permitted if the non-compliance is only in minor
and inconsequential respects or the vehicle complies to an extent that makes it suitable for use on a public
road in Australia – e.g. glider trailers with a longer rear overhang), AND
- has control or has access to information about the design, componentry and manufacturing process of
the road vehicle type, including changes that may impact compliance with the applicable national road
vehicle standards, AND
- can ensure the design, componentry and manufacturing process will consistently produce the
type of road vehicle, AND
- can arrange for the Secretary or an inspector to inspect the premises where the road vehicle or
componentry for the road vehicle is manufactured, AND
- can access and provide original and subsequent versions of supporting information, AND
- can ensure the supporting information for the approval is kept up-to-date, AND
- will comply with each of the standard and specified conditions that the vehicle type approval will be
Download a Quick Summary here
If your Unsure don’t put them on the water until you speak with the Operations team at Kenter